Saturday, September 24, 2011

Only in Africa

I saw a hilarious commercial yesterday as I sat waiting for my smoothie at Starbites across from the school.  An African mother and her little girl were making jello in a very American-looking kitchen.  They poured it into a mold and gently set it in the freezer just as the lights went out.  The next scene showed them happily playing games by candlelight as the father came home from work.  They all excitedly pulled the jello out the freezer and it was miraculously set!  The scene changed to a diagram of the freezer’s engineering and an explanation of how it stays cold even when the power is out.  The slogan?  “No lights, no problem! Samsung refrigerators: Made for Africa!”
It’s amazing how little power outages affect people here.  It happens regularly, sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes for a few hours.  It’s not even enough to interrupt a conversation.  Life goes on.  I can feel myself adjusting to this sense of unflappability.  You can do so much without electricity.  Try making a list just for fun.  You might be surprised.  But I bet you don’t have such a high tech freezer as I do!  :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment