Sunday, September 11, 2011

God Moments

Students come and go often at AIS.  Third Culture Kids are often highly mobile due to the nature of their parents’ jobs.  Our enrollment will never be set because we accept new students throughout the course of the year; each week has brought at least one new student.  
This week I (Daesha) had morning duty and I ran into a woman who was dropping her upper elementary daughter off for the first time.  I had met the family once before as they toured the school and answered some questions, so she came over to me to ask some more.  I already knew they were not evangelical Christians.  As we spoke, something incredible happened.  


From a distance, we could see her daughter sit down at a table in the pavilion by herself.  Immediately, a gaggle of middle school girls approached her and introduced themselves.  They discovered a little about her, then called another girl over from her grade, who reached out for a handshake.  After a couple of moments, she was holding her hand and leading her around the playground making introductions.
Meanwhile, our adult conversation had lagged.  I glanced over at the mother to see a very grave expression.  She looked at me intently, then threw her arms around me and began crying.  I just held her for a few moments and told her that we were so glad she had decided to come to our school.  We didn’t talk much after that, so I don’t know the whole story.  But I do know that I got to be a part of a God Moment as I watched Him use those little girls in a way I’ve never seen with such young people.
Other God Moments this week: Muslim parents came into the office concerned about what their pre-K child was saying about Jesus over the weekend. (Pray that they will leave their child in school; they were considering taking her out.)  I was about to silence my study hall once this week when I realized that one of the seniors was explaining apologetics to another non-Christian senior whom we have been praying for by name.  I let them keep talking.  I am learning to watch out for opportunities to witness and at times be involved in these Moments.  I hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment