Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Carpe Aeternitatem: Seize Eternity


Why are we going to Ghana?!?!

1. To follow God's leading into international ministry through Christian education.
2. To use our gifts and interests, especially teaching, to share Christ with students.
3. To enjoy and learn from other cultures.
4. To focus on what is most important (eternal vs. temporary).
5. Challenge, adventure, and God's glory.

To learn the longer versions...


From John:
     Why go to Ghana? Well, there are plenty of reasons to go.
     The first motivation is to follow God into his plans for our lives. I’ve been teaching for 2.5 years in charter schools in Colorado Springs, CO. This was spurred on by accepting the task of teaching middle school youth group at our church the preceding spring. I had no idea I could like teaching (I guess I was set out to do something different than my parents). Looking back on the relationships that developed with the crazy amazing lives that I’ve had the opportunity to be a part of I thank God for placing me where he has for the past 3 years here in Colorado.  Now a new chapter of teaching is about to start: using my Bible degree in a different country, with international students. It’s quite a jump from teaching middle school music and 6th grade teacher’s assistant, but more along the lines of youth group topics and deeper study of God’s word.
     I’ve always wanted to serve God overseas for a time. Different cultures are so intriguing and interesting: the different food, music, art, culture, family, and work. These I hope will enrich and challenge my views as a US citizen watching future happenings here and abroad.
     On an exciting side note, opportunity of adventure will be abundant in the treetop walks, safaris, and historic places along the coast of past slave trade. 
     I have to confess that I’m a little jealous of those international travelers who speak 7 different languages, an aspect that would be really awesome to pick up. Even to be bi- or trilingual would be amazing.
     My parents will also be in Ghana. Daesha and I will be working with my mom at American International School (AIS) in Accra (the capital), and my dad will be a short 15 mile/ 45 minute drive away teaching at Ghana Christian University College in Dodowa. He’s also working to start a School of Education there to better the quality of education for the country. They’ve been living in Ghana for 4 years and we will be the first to visit this adventurous ministry God has sent them on half-way across the world.
     There are an array of motivators that have encouraged this move to serve and live in Ghana that we are so excited about. These help when all our stuff is strewn about on the floor sorting, storing and practice packing for God's new calling in our lives.

From Daesha:

     The movie Dead Poets Society has always inspired me as an English teacher. I love the scene where Professor Keating gets Todd to sound his “barbaric yawp” - I actually make my students yawp loudly down the hall when we read Walt Whitman. Todd is inspired by his interaction with both a long-dead author and also his living, breathing teacher in order to find his own voice. This is a goosebump moment for us cheesy English teachers.
     But something about this movie always bothered me on a profound level. It wasn’t just the tragedy of (spoiler alert) Neil’s suicide. It was something deeper. I could never put words to it until I read a little book called Mentoring Millennials by Dr. Daniel Egeler. Professor Keating is always telling his students “Carpe Diem! Seize the day!”. However, when Neil couldn’t see beyond the day that he wanted to seize so badly, he lost hope. This is not to say by any means that the suicide was Professor Keating’s fault. It simply makes me wonder: What can a teenager do when his dreams are trampled by this world? What happens when the pain of this moment is so powerful that he can’t see past his high school graduation? Is this why some of my students seem to give up on dreams before they even dream them? If there is nothing to life other than its fleeting beauty and excruciating pain, what’s the point of trying in school? On the basketball court? In life at all?
     As a teacher, I’ve always wanted to inspire students to look past high school graduation. But as a Christian, deep inside me a voice has also whispered to them: Carpe Aeternitatem! Seize Eternity! Why settle for just a day? (I can’t take credit for this phrase. It’s in Dr. Egeler’s book, but it has certainly tugged my heart strings lately).
     I want to teach at a Christian school so that I can more freely and more intentionally teach this truth through both my content of literature and my life as a teacher. I pray that I’ve somehow impacted the future lives and especially eternities of kids in our youth group at MPC and students that I’ve had the honor to get to know on a deeper level at JICHS; however, I’m ready for a more intense ministry.
     This is by far the most important reason I am moving to Africa. I want to serve God and the students and staff at AIS and I believe God has given me passion and gifting for both secular and Christian education. Here are just a few more reasons I’m going:
     I want to be globally minded.  I love the USA and wholeheartedly support her underlying principles.  I also want to remember that billions of people live and think differently than I. I hope this experience helps me contribute to my community and the Church (all over the world) in a richer way regardless of where I live.
     I want to live near and in some way support Barb and Roy (John’s parents who live and teach in Accra as well). I admire them for what they’ve given up in answering God’s promptings to serve there.
     I want to shed needless possessions (although I could do this without moving to Africa). More on what God is teaching me in this area later...
     I want to be warm (I know, I know: “Be careful what you wish for”).
     I want to have adventures.
     So now you know why I’m going to Accra, Ghana, Africa. Stay tuned for more stories as we pack up. We leave August 1st!

No comments:

Post a Comment